Translate

Monday, June 4, 2012

Keep Your Thoughts Off My Body


Although I created this account a long time ago -so long that I can't remember when I started it- with the hopes of motivating myself to start writing, it wasn't until this morning when I saw the below shown picture that I felt motivated enough to get started and write this piece.


Over the years, I've heard time and again the same anti-Muslim propaganda.  I'm sure you all have. It's hard to escape it when you constantly hear it on the news, it's always discussed on online forums, it's re-iterated by Western politicians, and reaffirmed by "Muslim" extremists. Words like "burqa", "jihad", and "Shariah" are always tossed around as if they were the equivalent in meaning to dark ages, fall of civilizations, terrorism and death and destruction, and all else that is dark and scary.

Let's tackle the issue of Muslim women's rights since it's so easy for those outside the hemisphere of Islam to believe that us Muslim women are oppressed.

My name is Sabreen, I was born a Muslim and I practice my faith on a daily basis. I wear hijab and one day I aspire to look like the women in the 3rd picture but even if I don't, I respect women's choices to dress as they see fit. I do not believe a burqa is obligatory as nothing in the Qur'an or Hadith says it is. However, should women decide to wear it so they may feel closer to God and prefer not to be objectified by men in any way, then that is their choice, not yours or his or hers, or the media, or politicians or anyone else for that matter. It is HERS and hers alone. Religiously we are required to dress modestly and we choose how to express that modest attire.

I am a feminist to the core, I cover my hair and body and I choose to do so. If I decided to take it off, my family would be disappointed in my choice to unveil myself in front of men who aren't family (women can see us without it, it is only in the presence of men who aren't related to us that we cover) but they will not turn into out-of-control vicious murderers as bigots like to believe.

I recognize the artistic nature of this picture but I resent its meaning, or at least my interpretation of its meaning. To me this picture says that the women or their identities are disappearing with time or with more levels of clothing. The smile fades on the mother in the first four pictures and then she is "hidden" behind the veil. It keeps getting worse until mother and daughter no longer exist.

I am treated with respect, love and dignity. My husband treats me like a queen. My body, my shape, my beauty is not for sale, it is not for men to review or evaluate, to rate or judge, to objectify or degrade.  Women can see me as I am but men who aren't related to me cannot. I prefer not to give men I do not know an opportunity to check me out or to look at me in any other way than the person standing in front of them. Period.  How is this different in concept from all the men and women who save themselves for marriage, staying virgins so they can share the experience with the only person who matters, their life partner? I understand and submit to the reasons for wearing it but even if I didn't, I would wear it for the only entity worth listening to, the one above us all. God (Allah in Arabic) knows best.

To all you judgmental people out there, let me tell you something: What you might consider oppression, I consider freedom. What you consider degrading, I consider being held in high regard. What you consider control, I consider personal choice. What you consider devalued, I consider respect and admiration. France, Italy and all other hijab/burqa-banning entities... my choice is not your decision to make.

The hijab doesn't squander my personality or extinguish my identity. It empowers me, it humbles me, it forms my identity, it is me. So let me be me.

P.S. I am not naive, ignorant, living in a bubble, delusional, brainwashed, I'm not an exception to the rule, pretending to be liberated or any of the other justifications you may convince yourself of in order to continue dehumanizing me or the men in my life who have nothing to do with my choices. Accept it for what it is... a way of life.

I'm all for discussion but if you do not want to discuss things in a respectful manner, I will not engage you, respond to you or allow your comment to be posted. Feel free to ask or comment as you please whether you agree or disagree but just be decent and respectful or otherwise don't bother.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.sarahspendiff.com/blog/2012/05/16/just-call-me-florence%E2%80%A6-of-arabia/?goback=.gde_2841089_member_115803830

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this just about sums it all up! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabreen,

    I agree almost entirely. One possible point of dissension, Love. For me, the burqa (especially WITH face-covered) is a "safety" issue, or legitimate concern, for the general public. One does not need to extol or subscribe to the virtues of Islam to hide behind this garb. To this extent, I do believe that nations who are concerned with the safety of their citizens should leverage 'any means' to discourage this clothing or extent of covering. After all, there is a huge difference between modesty and hiding. And far too many people are merely hiding (from themselves even)behind religious attire.

    All other points, I *completely* agree with. You really get how we "roll" in the U.S. It saddens me that our culture tempts such horrible behavior and even courageously so, at times. Just, *BLECH*! You always look like the beautiful and noble treasure that you are, and I sincerely hope that my crowns are as beautiful as yours when they show up! Thanks for standing your ground! Love you, Chica Fabulosa!

    ~peace/love/light~

    p.s. - LOVE the accompanying pic!

    ReplyDelete